Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Taormina...been there, done that!!

Yep, thats right, I am no longer in Sicilia!!

After a 14 hour journey departing Taormina by bus at 10:15pm Saturday 15th November, I then arrived in Siena at 1:45pm Sunday 16th November.

I caught the local bus from Taormina down to the station in the town next door which is right on the water and then caught the over-night train to Roma. The train arrived in Roma at 9am and from there I hopped on an express train to Firenze (Florence). I arrived in Firenze at 11:20am and then had an hour before the local train to Siena.

I arrived in Siena to be met by the husband in my host family, even though I thought my "host Mum" would be there...as it turned out she had to stay home to look after her grandson...who is gorgeous mind you and now keeps following me around apparently because I am fair like his Mum...haha

So I made it and I am now exhausted!!

But prior to all of this I had my last week in Taormina, which was a bit of a whirlwind!!

As I thought might have been the case when I first decided to study in 2 places, I was just really feeling settled and in the groove of life in Taormina and I had to uproot myself for a new home...but at the same time, I am also happy to have a change of scenery and to have some new challenges ahead of me for the next month. I think I had also explored about as much of Sicily as is possible when you only have the weekends and are living on the eastern side.

So after a busy second last weekend of excursions and wineries and adventures, I planned out my final week with quite a few things that I wanted to do before I left Taormina...

Oh, and I also got another new house mate at Antonella's...Phillip, a 38yo South African now living in Swizerland who can speak very good italian from working in an italian speaking restaurant in Swizerland, but wanted to understand the mechanics behind it all...


This is him and I on my last night after dinner with Antonella's buddah...a story that will have to wait for another time...

We had beautiful weather nearly all week, so Monday afternoon I followed Danielle's lead and tried to go down to the beach in the afternoon for a swim after a bit of a walk...but as it turned out I took the wrong route, but still managed to find some beautiful views and scenery...which really isnt hard in Taormina!! haha


Tuesday, once again more beautiful weather all day and due to not finding the beach the evening before, I went for an early morning walk before school down to the beach and had a swim which was a FANTASTIC way to start the day...particularly when we were finding that the weather is always nicer in the morning and when we are in class and then by the afternoon the sun is gone and then it starts to get dark at 4:45pm!!



Wednesday morning I met Danielle outside her apartment at 8am and we walked up to the weekly market on one of the main roads to the upper outskirts of Taormina. It is mainly clothing and household items but also a bit of food and I had only heard about this market the week before and so thought it worth a look.

Oh and there was a VERY clear view of Etna on our way to the market...with snow on top now!!


On the way we stopped at the daily food market and bought a fresh fish for our dinner and then whilst at the other market werent tempted by any cheap clothes or boots but bought what we thought was fresh rocket and also some salted ricotta to go in a lentil dish which Danielle knew, with our fish.
Once again a beautiful day, so after class I walked up to a castel on one of the surrounding hills but unfortuantely it always seems to be closed to the public, even the grounds surrounding...but it was a nice walk none-the-less and i was able to do a loop back to my house.

So I got more great views of Taormina!!



The castel at the top of the hill that I walked up to.

So Wednesday night I cooked dinner with Danielle at her shared appartment organised by the school as I was curious to see what these apartments were like. It was very big but old and filled with miss-matched old furniture and was a bit on the cold side!!...even for Taormina!!

Our dinner was great though and we had bruschetta followed by the fish with the lentil dish...and some GREAT wine!!


Thursday afternoon before the rain hit once again, I went back to the Teatro Greco (Greek Amphitheatre) and sat and did a drawing of the magnificent view to give to Antonella as a gift to say thankyou...Im sure you all know how I feel about making gifts!! It is the best way!!

I then went along to a cheese tasting session at school which was fantastic!! We got to try about 8 cheeses and Pepe spoke a little about them and the differences and which were stronger and which more "dolce" (sweet, subtle).



Friday was obviously my last day of school and being amazing weather again, I went for another morning walk and swim. It was a little sad to say goodbye to school and all the teachers!! As they are all fabulous!! Friendly, helpful and very welcoming!!

I had hoped to go out for lunch with some of the other women who had been in my group for a while and were also finishing up but they had to go to Giardini Naxos, so after puddling on the net for a bit I went out for lunch with american Danielle.

In the afternoon I returned to the beach to search for my necklace which I had lost whilst down there in the morning for my swim...with no luck!! But I did get some nice photos...


In the evening Danielle, Danielle and I went to a restaurant called Tiramisu for dinner which is a favourite of the locals'. And it WAS great!!! I didnt take photos this time but I had pepper mussles which were AMAZING...and of course, I had to try the Tiramisu...another fabbo dish!!

My last day in Taormina, Saturday, was crazily stormy and perfect for being inside and packing bags and cleaning my room...


And then an amazing sunset, and clear view of Etna!!


I then had one last amazing dinner of pasta, fish, beans, salad and the mandatory bread with Antonella and Phillip whilst (as per usual) the two boys came and went!!


Antonella, buddah and I!! hahaha...I wasnt really looking at my prime with my red face from my hot shower in preparation to go straight to sleep once on the train.


Ci vediamo
Jo xoxox

No comments: