Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Home sweet home...for now!! (or THEN!!)

NEWS FLASH...I am no longer in Siena!! I left this morning...and am now in Bologna.

So now that I am no longer living there...I will show you were I was living all of that time!! HAHA...not deliberately, I obviously just didnt get myself organised enough to take these photos and post them before...

So as I think I have already told you, I lived with a family made up of Luciana and Roberto, the Mum and Dad of about 55 and 60 respectively. Then there are three grown children; Isobella who I think is about 32, has a husband and 14 month-old and lives in Birmingham with her family. She is a translator and so speaks english, but only once to me. She lived in The States and also in Oz for a while, in Melbourne. Then there is Morris who I think is about 30 but is with the military and so was rarely at home. And thirdly there was Ronald who is 28 and often at home for dinner with his girlfriend Elena, who was very nice, spoke clearly to me and was always patient with my slow italian!!

I had what I think used to be Isobella's room, with a single bed, a window, desk and a cupboard and some drawers in a massive wall unit...



And I guess the house was more of a townhouse or large appartment on the ground floor of a big Palazzo which, Luciana told me, is the old train station, I guess from a long long time ago...



The house was the last on the end on the ground floor...


The second window is mine.
And then my trip to school every morning...



Yes, there was lots of umbrellas most days!!


And then on Mondays and Fridays there was always piles of yellow and green garbage bags along all of the streets in the central storico. It was kinda quite funny!! But they were very prompt in coming along to pick all up and the streets were all cleaned very regularly too...Mondays out the front of the Palazzo at about 7.30am...I always knew about it!!
And then the school...


Another old palazzo...what Siena is mostly made up of...and apparently a lot of them are partially or fully empty because property prices are so high and renovation and resotration restrictions are so tight!! Sound familiar?!?
But the building was once a very important school for the area...for deaf and mute children.



And my classroom...it looks a bit plain and boring which is exactly what I thought on my first day but I came to love it...despite it being a bit cold and airy!!


Just to prove that I did study, do work and learn!! See my name at the bottom?!?
The headings say "Have to do...Dont have to do"...it was a set of ten commandments for a good teacher!! haha

I will write more soon about my last week in Siena.
Ci Vediamo
Jo xoxoxoxoxox

No comments: