Sunday, January 25, 2009

"But why Albania?!?"

This is what nearly everyone who I spoke to about going to Albania, said to me...especially the italians!! haha...and my response..."But why not?!?"

Despite all of the sceptics, I stuck to my guns, booked my 'sleeper' (by myself thanks to the lovely guys at the ticket booth who organised it with the guys on the boat), and hopped on the boat farewelling a very drizzley and wet Brindisi.


I boarded the boat about 20 minutes before the scheduled departure time and was shown to my cabin and wished a goodnight. I watched out the window of my cabin the endless line of trucks to be loaded...


And then I thought it best to go to bed as I only had about 5 or 6 hours of sleep available...I thought we were due in Vlore at about 7.30 or 8am but I was advised that sailing time was only 5 and half hours...so I hopped into bed and set my alarm and went to sleep...


I then woke every 2 hours or so and noticed all felt clam and flat and so checked out the window to see we were still at the port in Brindisi...we ended up leaving 7 hours late!!

By the time I was sick of sleeping on and off and it was a reasonable hour in the morning to wake up properly I noticed we were well and truelly rocking back and forth!! Well I had actually noticed it well before as soon as we left Brindisi but it continued endlessly for the whole trip and was a bit like a show ride in my opinion...I was just glad I have a strong sea stomach!!



I finally arrived in a very rainy and stormy Vlore!!


I made my way off the ferry with all my bags...a lone traveller...and was given a grilling by the young, female, english speaking guard. I think her aim was to scare me...and she did a bit...but I didnt let her see that!! Haha

I had no hostel or hotel booked and had planned to just find something when I got there which ended up seeming a lot more daunting when I arrived...

Thankfully, I had a lovely italian speaking Albanian man come to my rescue!! He drove me around and helped me to find a hotel, negotiated a price for me and then drove me to show me where I had to walk the following morning to get my transport to Tirana (the capital)...he was a champion and a real gentleman...thanks Nik, wherever you are!! Oh, and left me his phone number in case I needed assistance at any point!!

I didnt do much in Vlore for that afternoon and evening apart from walk back to the bus stop that I needed to go to the following day and find some food...
But I found the 'Luna Park' of Vlore...


I dont think it really has anything on Melbourne's Luna Park!! haha

It was a bit sad really with bad music blaring, no one in there and empty and broken rides!!

The next day I did the trek to the bus stop with all my bags!!...Well actually it was a "furgon" stop. And a furgon is basically minivan that line up at the stops and the drivers call out where they are going. When they are full they leave.

My destination was Tirana and I made it quite successfully...

And then I trekked through the busy busy streets of Tirana to the hostel I had booked (this time I knew where I was going...the one and only hostel in Tirana)...

And then I passed out for a while!! haha

I had a great first night out in Tirana with the other three people staying at the hostel...an Australian couple from Adelaide (My-my and Jason) who were in Albania buying an apartment in a southern coastal town (and having problems) to eventually turn into a hostel, and a Finish guy (Pekka), who I ended up spending a day and a few evenings looking around with...it was good to have some company!!

We went out and had some Albanian food and then funnily enough, we went to have some beers at an Irish pub!! haha...there is an Irish Pub wherever you go in the world!!

At this point, let me just say that Tirana is fantastic!! And I highly recommend it to everyone!!

The very interesting thing about Albania though and which I think made it so much more appealing to me (and can sometimes be a postive and sometimes a negative) is that the Albanians arent quite ready, used to or prepared for tourists yet. But they are very friendly and generally helpful people who are very proud of their country.



Tirana is a beautiful and very busy city surrounded by big mountains...and I was very fortunate to get some amazing weather whilst I was there!!


The very big and very busy main square and heart of the city...notice all of the people and cars...and this is only a corner of it!!

And lets not forget about the change in food which I was VERY excited about after 3 months of pasta and pizza...


Byrek, which is the very easily found and extremeley delicious Albanian (and generally Balkan, in all of the Balkan countries) fast food...

They also love their kebabs or souvas but I didnt try one of those with too much other good food to sample.

One thing I didnt sample was a Kolonat burger...yes, McDonalds has not penetrated Albania, but ehy have their own version!! haha...It is called Kolonat, something which I find very amusing...is it aluding to it not being very good for your Colon?!?


They have even tried to mirror the McDonalds logo...but they also serve pizza as they Albanians are also a little obsessed with italian food!!

Then on my second day, Pekka and I took the gondola up the biggest mountain to the west (I think) of the city and had a walk around up there. There were fantastic views of Tirana under its fog and pollution and we got to see many of the indestructibly designed bunkers from their years to war which are obviously still there as they are "indestructible"!! Haha...apparently many young Albanians have lost their virginities in them!! haha


Oh...and then there was many stalls on the street and a whole market dedicated to stalls of pre-used and preloved clothes and shoes...piles and piles of them!! Apparently they get it all from Italy and bring it back to Albania...and it all seems to sell as there are constantly people serching through the piles!!


Used stockings anyone?!?

Or how about someone elses' smelly shoes?!?


I sadly had to leave Tirana to keep moving and headed north to Shkoder also in Albania, just for one night to then head over the boarder into Montenegro the following day...

Ci vediamo
Jo xox

PS - Oh, and I cant forget the very cute line up of old ALbanian men in the main square chatting away in the Sunday morning sun...

No comments: